Have an old pull string light fixture? Make it into a switch with ANY light you want with this inexpensive, three minute non-electrical fix! If I can do it, you can too.
Pull string light fixtures are easily converted through this inexpensive wireless solution in just minutes. It’s a quick fix that immediately improves the functionality of any room in your home!
When you are vertically challenged, pull string light fixtures can be a struggle. In fact, they can cause issues for many people, short or not!
Our 90s-era lake cottage came equipped with many pull string fixtures. Ceiling fans, flush mounts, you name it. They don’t always make sense in a room, and they often feel dated and out of place as we work to make over this home.
Pull string light fixtures have been common in homes for a century. While they have served their purpose, they are thankfully not as popular these days, and now I know why! It’s so easy to switch them out.
No more tripping and falling when you walk into a dark room and stumble around looking for the pull cord! No more opening a dark closet and struggling to see what’s in the corner.
Thankfully, we have discovered the easiest solution to the old pull string light problem! No electrician required! Learn how to turn your dated pull chain light fixtures into a modern, wall mounted control.
Pull Chain Light Fixture
A light with a pull chain is often functional enough for lesser-used spaces in your home. However, it is less aesthetically pleasing than other options, and ceiling lights with light pull switches tend to wear out over time.
What is a Pull Chain Light Fixture?
This is a type of switch that is activated by means of a chain or string. Also called a pull cord, pull chain and light pull, they are common in many homes as an inexpensive shortcut solution.
They are frequently used in builder grade homes, and often in closets, basements, etc. They are inexpensive and require less electrical because there’s no switch.
Pull Cord Light Switch
Turn your pull chain light fixture into any fixture you want! If you’re looking to upgrade the lighting in your home, you’ll notice that often the pull chain light options are minimal.
They are mostly functional with little thought put into design or aesthetics. No longer! No you can purchase any light you love and make it work without a wired light switch.
These are the best two options we’ve found to accomplish this project:
- This wireless kit allows you to turn it on and off and dim! You can use it with Alexa, Apple Homekit and Google Assistant, though none are required. It’s installation free and no hub is required. The push button works as a light switch, without any electrical!
- This wireless remote light turns pull chain fixtures on and off with a classic switch. You can use it with the lightbulb of your choice.
How to convert a Ceiling Light with Pull Chain into a Wall Switch
- Purchase the Wireless Remote Control Light Switch linked in this post.
- Replace light fixture with the light of your choosing.
- Screw the wireless receiver into your light fixture.
- Screw light bulb into the receiver.
- Attach wall mounted switch to the wall according to package directions.
- Now your new switch will control your pretty new light!
- Most of the wireless conversion kits only support bulbs up to a certain wattage. For example, the kit linked here supports up to 150 watts when light bulb when the bulb is up and 60 watts maximum when bulb is down.
- 50′ range with 4 selectable channels
- Indoor use only
- Socket adds 2.5 inches to the overall height of the fixture
- Works with all Edison Base light bulbs: LED, Compact fluorescent or incandescent.
Let’s stay in touch! Join our newsletter for access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite projects. You’ll receive the best design secrets delivered directly to your inbox! Sign up here!